Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week 4 Final !!!

And We call this a FINAL  ( APPLAUSE)   woo woooo
....... well kinda  haha

This last critique was well on it's way. 
I'm relieved to report that the review went well. The major notes were hit and  still getting a laugh. Now I can crawl in a corner and let it all out.  Less headaches, More chillax

Now comes the last stop of fine polishing. This is the most tasteful part for me, where I take all the final notes and anything my peers can give me to wax this piece up .  Little things that were mentioned to kick it up a notch. more posed poses, pops and penetrations, better shaped lips. 

Yes some facial poses were pushed a tad too much. just as I feared.  Breaking the characters model.
BUT THAT'S OK!  in my past experience I've noticed the workflow of pushing too much and backing it up until the medium hits, is always the way to go for most projects.  This is normal, so now my mission is to find those spots to blend and tweak.

Big Note for the week 

working with two characters in a gag, the audience eyes will be moving back in forth between who is acting and reacting. No one can see both characters at once so each character must have a pause while the other is talking. 


Today I am catching up on my normal life, resting, resetting, and planning my next shot.  I am studying many of suspense film and drama pieces, looking for cameras angles and new ways to tell stories.  Right now the TV shows Daredevil and Maddogs are the two I'm currently watching. Both are unique and the action and intensity is something that intrigues me.  Even though I have shown Malcom some of the audios I like, I feel like there is still more, something tells me to keep searching just a bit more.  Today am watching some films that might fit that bill, they are 13, Snowpicker, The Town, and Out of the Furnace. 

And for my next trick I'm gonna bring the tears because I want the challenge of breaking a character emotionally. This I've heard from many of animators is the toughest thing to do.  Sounds like just the idiot idea for me. 3  big motives have made this decision for me.  
1.  I rarely see any shots on demo reels that get deep inside a characters eyes. I can maybe recall one maybe two shots I have seen that were done beautifully. Those moments stop you in your tracks and are the essence of what makes animation so special to the world.
2.   Ted Ty ( legend ) did a talk last year at  CTN  a two part lecture called Boo Hoo, explaining emotion, character, inner struggle, posing in emotion. Everything that leads up to an impact.  This inspired the hell outta me to really tap into the notes that came from that lecture. Not only is Ted an unparalleled animator and the sweetest guy you'll meet, but his passion and enthusiasm pours out in everything he talks about. The lecture on crying and emotion brought the house down in November.
3.   I'm an idiot and a junky for challenge 

So here we go.....  I feel like Gandalf at the end of two towers. The battle for Comedy is over... The battle for Sorrow is about to begin....  






No comments:

Post a Comment